Crepes are one of the most versatile breakfast foods around, as they can be filled with savory or sweet ingredients and eaten at any time of day. But how do you make them without eggs? Believe it or not, you can use pancake mix to create the batter that gives crepes their signature thin and tender texture without making them too heavy. Cooking up your own crepe recipe may seem daunting at first, but don’t worry—there are only three simple steps to creating the perfect Crepes with Pancake Mix!
Table of Contents
What you need
- 1 cup pancake mix
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- Nonstick cooking spray
- Fresh fruit or jam (optional)
In a medium bowl, whisk together pancake mix, water, oil, and vanilla extract until smooth. Heat a 12-inch nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add sugar to the skillet and cook for 1 minute or until sugar is melted and golden brown. Add 1/4 cup batter to the skillet. Using a spatula, spread battar evenly over the bottom of the skillet. Cook for 1 minute or until crepes is golden brown. Remove crepes from skillet; place on a plate.
Also Read: How Many Calories In a Pancake?
Making The Batter of Crepes with Pancake Mix
- In a medium bowl, whisk together pancake mix, eggs, milk, and melted butter until smooth.
- Let the batter rest for 5 minutes so it thickens up slightly.
- Heat a 12-inch nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add 1 tablespoon of butter to coat the bottom of the pan.
- Pour 1/4 cup of batter into the center of the skillet and quickly tilt and swirl the pan so the batter evenly coats the bottom.
- Cook for 30 seconds to 1 minute or until the crepe starts to turn golden brown around the edges.
Cooking the Pancakes
- Heat your pan on medium heat and add some butter to grease it. You could also use nonstick cooking spray.
- Pour 1/4 cup of pancake batter into the pan and spread it out into a thin circle.
- Cook for one minute or until you see the edges start to brown.
- Carefully flip the pancake over and cook for another minute on the other side.
- Remove from the pan and repeat with the remaining batter.
- Serve with your favorite toppings, like fresh fruit, chocolate chips, or maple syrup!
Cooling the Pancakes
Once you’ve mixed your pancake batter according to the package directions, it’s time to start cooking. Use a non-stick skillet or griddle heated over medium heat. For each crepe, pour 1/4 cup of batter onto the skillet. Tilt the skillet so the batter evenly coats the surface. Cook for one minute or until the crepe top is dry and bubbles have stopped forming. Then use a spatula to flip the crepe over and cook for an additional 30 seconds on the other side. Remove from heat and place on a plate. Repeat with the remaining batter, stacking the crepes as you go. Let them cool completely before filling or serving.
Rolling and Filling
To make crepes with pancake mix, you’ll need:
- 1 cup of pancake mix
- 1/2 cup of water
- 1 tablespoon of oil
- A mixing bowl
- A nonstick skillet or griddle
Also Read: Why Eating Meat Bad for the Environment?
For a classic crepe, you will need 1/2 cup of pancake mix, 1/2 cup of milk, 1 egg, 2 tablespoons of melted butter, and a non-stick pan. Combine all of the ingredients in a blender or food processor and blend until smooth. Place the pan over medium heat and coat with cooking spray. Pour 1/4 cup of batter into the center of the pan and tilt the pan in a circular motion so that the batter evenly coats the bottom. Cook for one minute or until the crepe is golden brown. Remove from heat and repeat with remaining batter.
Serve with your favorite toppings and enjoy!
THANKS FOR READING